Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-time Reader Response Journal #1

While reading this book, I have noticed over and over how Christopher is very observant, and goes about life in a very technical way. He always explains what he means, which makes the book a lot easier to understand. However, when he explains things that are very obvious, this can also get annoying.

An example of him being so observant is the first pragraph of the book. This is the part where he finds the dog and realizes that it must be dead. The way he talks shows he is very logical, because he goes through all of these steps in his head to make sure that the dog really is dead. Also, he notices what time it is. Not a lot of people would do that, because they would be freaking out about the dead dog. But because he lacks the emotional reaction, he is able to notice the little things.

An example that I found of how he always explains what he says is a few pages later. He is talking about how he doesn't like to read regular books, because they confuse him. He quotes a book. Then, at the bottom of the page, there is a footnote that says where the quote came from. Even though this is completely irrelevant to his story, and we don't really need to know it, he still explains. He feels that he must tell the readers, and I think that it is because it makes him feel better.

From this, I learned a bit about how Christopher sees things. In a way, I can relate, because I do pay attention to a lot of details, and I have quite a good memory. I am different from him though, because I don't have, for lack of a better term, a "burning desire" to know ll of the facts and I won't freak out if I don't explain something(because I know what is important when writing a story) and I don't always have to know the time of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment